In most cases you need to be a minimum of 25 years old, but in some cases you can still rent a car if you are over 21 years old. In this case a mandatory surcharge usually applies and the renter may not be able to purchase excess reduction products. Some vehicle types may also be restricted.
No one under the age of 21 can rent a car from any of our suppliers at any time. Drivers on restricted/ provisional licenses are also unable to rent under any circumstances.
- Avis & Budget: Renters must be over the age of 21 with a full driver's licence that they have held for a minimum of 12 months. Those aged between 21-25 years will need to pay an underage surcharge of $28.75 (including GST) per day, per driver. Those with provisional licences will not be able to rent a car with Avis or Budget in New Zealand.
- Enterprise: Drivers must be aged 21 and above, and those under 25 will only be able to reduce their damage liability to $391 (including GST). A Young Driver Surcharge of $14.95 (including GST) will apply to all drivers under 25. Enterprise does allow probationary licences if it has been held for a minimum of one year, however an additional fee of $23 (including GST) will apply per day.
- Europcar: Customers must be aged over 21 years old to rent with Europcar, however those under 25 must also pay an age surcharge of $28.75 (inc. GST) per day, and will not be able to reduce their Damage Liability. Drivers under 25 are restricted to economy, standard, intermediate and full size vehicles.
- Hertz: The minimum age to rent a car is 21. Drivers must be aged over 25 if they wish to hire premium 4WD vehicles.
- Thrifty: Drivers must be aged over 21 and have held their licence for at least a year. An age surcharge of $17.25 (inc GST) applies per day for those aged 21 - 24.