None of our suppliers permit you to take your vehicle on the Interislander Ferry between the North & South Island of New Zealand. You will need to return your vehicle and pick up a new car on the other island.
Our supplier do offer multi-hire deals, where you are able to disembark the ferry and pick up a new rental car. Certain conditions do apply:
Avis & Budget
- A minimum rental of 3 days is required on each island, with a minimum total of 6 days. If this requirement is not met the rental will be charged as two separate hires.
- If you are travelling more than once between the two islands, the third (and subsequent) rental period has no minimum length of rental requirement.
- You can cross between the two islands using the Picton Ferry Terminal and the Wellington Ferry Terminal. Note: this policy only applies if you are travelling to the other island, not to a location within the same island.
- A maximum of 5 hours is allowed between the drop off of the vehicle in one island and the pick up of the next vehicle.
- A minimum of 48 hours notice is required of the customers intention to cross between the islands if a crossover booking has not been previously made. If notice is not given, we cannot guarantee a vehicle will be available on the other side.
- Ferry terminal changeover fee of $40 is charged by some suppliers.
Thrifty terms and conditions are that all multi-island hires (rentals covering both islands) must have a minimim of 3 days rental on any one way sector in each island or a $562.50 one way fee will apply to the hire. ie; A 6 day Auckland to Christchurch booking must have 3 days in the north island and 3 days in the south island. Please note that multi-island hires require return of vehicles when crossing between the islands at Wellington in the North Island or Picton in the South Island and collecting a subsequent vehicle upon arrival in the other island. We will contact you to confirm your island crossover dates.
If your reservation meets their requirements, you must then advise the supplier your ferry dates as soon as possible. The vehicles at the changeover are subject to availability.
Europcar allows one way bookings online with no minimum days per island. You are required to call reservations at least 72 hours prior to ferry schedule so the car will be ready when you reach the other side of the island.
All confirmations are based on travel meeting the suppliers requirements.
Please note, the suppliers do not allow the vehicles on the ferry. Vehicles that are taken on the ferry are subject to relocation fees, and the renter is liable for full cost of any damage.
If you’re travelling in another part of the world or would like more specific support about your journey, please contact us.